AFM-detected apoptosis of hepatocellular carcinoma cells induced by American ginseng root water extract
AffiliationChangchun University of Science and Technology
Eindhoven University of Technology
University of Bedfordshire
atomic force microscope
atomic force microscopy
C130 Cell Biology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmerican ginseng as a common and traditional herbal medicine has been used in cancer treatment for many years. However, the effect of American ginseng on the cancer cell response (i.e. apoptosis) has not been fully understood yet. Previous studies demonstrated that cellular apoptosis was associated with the changes of mechanical and morphological properties. Therefore, in this study, mechanical and morphological characterizations were carried out by both atomic force microscope (AFM) and inverted optical microscope to investigate the apoptosis of hepatocellular carcinoma (SMMC-7721) cells affected by American ginseng root water extract (AGRWE). The results showed that the cells treated with AGRWE exhibited significantly larger surface roughness, height and elastic modulus values than control group. Moreover, those parameters were upregulated under the higher concentration of AGRWE and longer culture time. Consequently, it indicates that the mechanical and morphological properties can be used as the apoptotic characteristics of SMMC-7721 cells. Also, the increased surface roughness and elastic modulus of cells under the AGRWE treatment have shown that the apoptosis of SMMC-7721 cells can be enhanced by AGRWE. This will provide an important implication for hepatocelluar carcinoma treatment and drug development.
CitationQu Y, Wang Z, Zhao F, Liu J, Zhang W, Li J, Song Z, Xu H (2018) 'AFM-detected apoptosis of hepatocellular carcinoma cells induced by American ginseng root water extract', Micron, 104, pp.1-7.
Sponsors“111” Project of China (D17017), EU FP7 (BioRA No.612641), China-EU H2020 (FabSurfWAR Nos.2016YFE0112100 and 644971), EU H2020 (MNR4SCell No.734174), and Jilin Provincial Science and Technology Program (Nos.20160520101JH, 20160101318JC and 20160623002TC)
- Effect of extract from ginseng rust rot on the inhibition of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells in vitro.
- Authors: Hu J, Jiao J, Wang Y, Gao M, Lu Z, Yang F, Hu C, Song Z, Chen Y, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- The ethyl acetate extract of PGP (Phellinus linteus grown on Panax ginseng) suppresses B16F10 melanoma cell proliferation through inducing cellular differentiation and apoptosis.
- Authors: Park HJ, Han ES, Park DK
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 28
- Ginsenoside composition and antiproliferative activities of explosively puffed ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer).
- Authors: Yoon SR, Lee GD, Park JH, Lee IS, Kwon JH
- Issue date: 2010 May
- [Effects of component formula of Salviae Miltiorrhizae Radix et Rhizoma and Ginseng Radix et Rhizoma on cell proliferation, apoptosis and skeleton in lung cancer A549 cells].
- Authors: Yan XJ, Yang Y, Bi L, Chen SS, Zhu JJ, Chen WP
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Investigation of quercetin-induced HepG2 cell apoptosis-associated cellular biophysical alterations by atomic force microscopy.
- Authors: Pi J, Li B, Tu L, Zhu H, Jin H, Yang F, Bai H, Cai H, Cai J
- Issue date: 2016 Mar-Apr